Have a Stress-Free, Rewarding Holiday Season!
While the holiday season conjures up visions of family gatherings, robust meals and brightly wrapped presents, the reality can often be very different. Today, it’s rare to find anyone who doesn’t experience at least some stress while coping with the holiday season. From your employees, your residents, and even your own family and friends, instead of being ‘the best time of the year,’ many of us just find ourselves wishing they were over.
But it’s not impossible to regain some of that holiday spirit that so often goes by the wayside as we struggle with work responsibilities and family obligations.
While there are no quick remedies, there are ways to help brighten the spirits of those around you, including your staff, residents, community members any maybe even your own. Most of these suggestions cost very little, but can have a big impact on all involved. For a little bit of holiday spirit, consider one of the following:
- Have a food drive. While area food pantries and shelters are always in need of canned goods, the need rises during the holidays. Set up a collection box in the leasing office and encourage your residents to contribute. Enter all those who contribute in a drawing for a prize such as ½ month free rent or a gift card.
- Sponsor a family. Various charitable organizations frequently have families that can be ‘adopted’ for the holiday season. Providing meals and presents to a family that would otherwise have nothing is highly rewarding and what the true spirit of the holiday season is all about.
- Offer to do community service. This can be done in several ways. You and your staff can volunteer to deliver meals to shut-ins, collect toys for a local toy drive, or even serve meals at an area shelter.
- Think small. Instead of an elaborate, expensive holiday party, skip the high-priced restaurant and have an office party that features fun games, finger foods, and sparkling grape juice. And if you’re brave enough to throw a party for your residents, the same scenario can work.
- Give your residents a holiday card. It’s always important to remember that with a few exceptions, your residents have a choice on where they rent. Make sure they know that they are appreciated.
- That same sentiment should be applied to your staff as well. If you’re fortunate enough to have a hard-working, loyal, conscientious staff, make sure they know that they’re appreciated as well.
Helping those in need can help to reduce our own stress levels, and help us to remember what the spirit of the holiday season is all about.